Friday, January 15, 2010

365/15

The other day I was reading this article on the MCP Actions blog, and I really couldn't help but laugh at the cartoon posted in that article:



First things first: That title is hilarious.

But it makes a good point. I've had a lot of people look at my photos and say things like, "WOW! You have a really nice camera" or "Your camera takes really nice photos!" and at first it doesn't seem weird to say that but if you really think about it, it's like saying:

-To a chef who just prepared you a gourmet meal: "Wow, you must have really nice set of pots!"
-To a painter who just painted a beautiful masterpiece: "My goodness, you have awesome brushes!"
-To a seamstress who just created a gorgeous suit: "Gee whiz, your sewing machine is great!"
-To a pianist who just wrote and performed a breathtaking piece: "My god...your piano sounds amazing."
-To an athlete who just completed a marathon: "Those must be some nice running shoes!"

Do you get the point? It's not just about the equipment. Yes, good equipment helps. But that's not even the half of it.

Now, in no way am I comparing myself to the above chef, painter, seamstress, pianist, or athlete. In fact, when people make that kind of comment to me about my photographs, maybe they are just being polite and looking for something they can say to be nice.

But would you ever walk up to Ansel Adams and say, "Ansel, the photographs your camera takes are amazing. You're a lucky guy"?

No. No, you would not.

(now that I got that out of my system...)



365/15

1 comment:

  1. Loving your posts! Very artistic. I really liked the B&W photos you linked to. Would like to see some SOOC shots as well. (Just my opinion: ))

    ReplyDelete